Ingredients (makes approximately 15 dosais)
karuppu kavuni Arisi/black rice – 1 ½ cups
karuppu ulundhu/black gram – ½ cup
vendhayam/fenugreek seeds – ½ tsp
kal Uppu/rock salt – ½ tsp
Method of Preparation
Wash well black rice and black gram.
Add fenugreek seeds and soak overnight or minimum 6 hours in water
Grind well in a grinder or any blender
Once ground into a fine batter add rock salt and mix well or grind the rock salt in the end.
Leave the batter overnight or until fermented well.
Dosai batter is ready for use.
1. Heat dosaikal or the pancake pan on stove
2. Pour a ladle of batter and spread into perfect round pancakes – preferably thin
3. Pour droplets of gingelly oil on the sides of the Dosai for easy lift of pancake
4. Turn the Dosai to the other side and let it cook
5. Take out once done- remember it would take just about 30-50 seconds to cook a side of thin Dosai. If one keeps it longer, the texture of pancake would be lost.
6. Make Karuppu Kavuni Dosai crisp or soft and enjoy with any Thuvayal/chutney.
7. A dollop of nei/clarified butter is an extravagant addition to the beautiful Dosai